Otto Higel Co

tom dibenedetto tdib@umich.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:58:20 -0500 (EST)

> > This technique [tuning just the center string, then one edge, then
> the other edge]  results in less strain on the plate as the tension is
> > distributed more evenly and gradually, which is surely a comfort when
> > pulling up old pianos. It also results in far fewer strings breaking,
> > and perhaps more importantly, ends up with a vastly more stable
> > instrument.

Is there anything to be gained by tuning both sides of the same wire, and
then skipping two sets, i.e. doing every third bichord set.
For instance if L= left string, C= center, R= right, then do first note L
and C, skip R and second note L, skip second note C and R, do third note
L and C...etc. so that you end up going thru in three passes just as the
method being discussed. This would seem to yield the same benefits in
terms of evening out the strain, but might make the tuning more stable.
I guess this comes down to asking if there is any tension "leakage" around
the hitch pin, especially on large pitch raises.
-Tom