Otto Higel Co

Ty Fairchild twfic@netcom.netcom.com
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 09:55:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:23:55 -0700 (MST), you wrote and I quote:

:> It is a cold stone fact that
:> using this method results in less string breakage, but I have no clue
:> as to why. Sorry. But if any one else knows, I, too, am all ears.  :-)
:>
:> Ty Fairchild
:
:As opposed to raising pitch tuning unisons as you go?  i don't think
:so.
:
:
Vince,

Sorry.  I should have qualified my statement by saying it is an
absolute truism ("cold stone fact") within the context of *my* 42
years of pitch-raising experience subjectively comparing the various
techniques.  For me, string breakage, to arbitrarily pick a realistic
number, is somewhere in the range of 90% less with the "new"
technique.  Granted, I have been using the new technique only 13
years, so there is plenty of room for additional fact finding.

Overall, I did not intend my statement to be a broad generalization
applicable to everyone and true under all circumstances.  Finally, if
you or anyone else could provide objective test documentation of
comparative rates of string breakage per pitch-raising technique, per
piano, I would be most happy to receive it.

Ty Fairchild

--
                 All Rights Reserved To Post Flame Email