Pitch Raising (was Otto Higel)

Allen Leigh allen@pengar.com
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:39:01 +0000

> My experience, and that of many other RPT's indicates that raising the
> center strings first, and then the left and right strings later results
> in *LESS* tuning stability than if you just pulled up the unisons as you
> go.  I have not researched the stability aspect with hard data though.

My experience has been that tuning the base strings has a greater
effect on the rest of the piano than does tuning other sections.
I've measured the effect on my temperament of tuning the base vs.
tuning the rest of the piano, and the base changes the temp. by about
30% while the rest of the piano has very little effect on the temp.
(one nice reason to have an electronic tuner is so one can make
objective measurements like this).  Thus, by tuning unisons as we go
and doing the base first, we get this "greater effect" over at the beginning,
and the rest of the tunings are more stable.

/Allen Leigh
So. Jordan, UT