Bandsaws vs. Pinblocks

Pianocraft@aol.com Pianocraft@aol.com
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 21:47:38 -0500

Lorlin,

Sorry to tell you , but forget it. The minimum saw to buy is the delta 14
with a 1/2 horse power motor (3/4 would be better) about $750. I have bought
many power tools over the years for my rebuilding shop and can assure you
that better equipment is worth the cost. Often, cheep tools have to be thrown
away after a number of years or sold for very little. I can attest to this
since I have given away a number of tools, too cheap to use or to be safe, to
my friends in the past. A quality tool can be sold for good money even
decades latter if well cared for. Good tools are money in the bank.

For example, a few years ago I sold my delta contractors table saw for $500,
I paid $600 new ten years before. I bought a Powermatic 66, with a 5 horse
power motor for $2000 to re-place the delta and I am sure that it will be
inexpensive to own over the next two decades. BTW, even though I didnt think
I needed the power or quality of the Powermatic, this machine has improved
the accuracy and efficiency of my work tremendously.

BTW, I have owned several Sears tools and they no longer live in my shop. My
first drill press was a Sears and the motor constantly burned out. After
Sears replaced the motor free of charge several times I decided the down time
was too costly and traded it in at half the cost to the dealer that sold me
the 19 pre-war (ww II) delta for what Two Sears drill presses would cost
new. After eight years I am still happy with the machine. One thing to keep
in mind is that you will grow and change so it is wiser to buy something that
reflects your needs in the future and you want something that will be there
then. Buy the dream machine!

John Hartman RPT