Tuning Test Intervals

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 05:08:36 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996 ROBTCLOUGH@aol.com wrote:

> I have a question regarding test intervals when tuning.  I've heard of the
> "Indian Jones Theme" test (consisting of a major third, another major third
> up a half step, then back down to the major fifth, and finally the octave);
> as well as the "merry go round" test (consisting of a major third, another
> major third down a half step, back up a half step repeating the first major
> third, then two octaves, and finally a major fifth).
> But can anyone tell me what the "Gilligan's Island Theme" test intervals
> consist of?  Thanks!

      Robert, you have opened a big can of variations. I'm sure that
you'll get so many suggestions about how to tune the temperament and
which test intervals to use, that your head will spin.

      If you're really open to something different, try my "Triad
Temperament." I set a 9 note temperament, using Major Triads, position
one and three as significant test intervals. It is a very simple approach
and very accurate.

      Ken Burton
     Calgary, Alberta