Baffles and wicks

DAMPPCHASR@aol.com DAMPPCHASR@aol.com
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 09:00:55 -0500

Collette,
"Riding the probes"  What a marvelous description for a fairly common
problem.  As to
decision time - After the May News Letter.

Probably more explanation is in order.  I used the words "more effective pads
over a longer period of time" .

The " longer period of time" part of this statement is by far the most
important.  The
humidifier, be it vertical or grand has tremendous water evaporation
capability.  Our tests
have shown that even in the final days of being operational, the pads wick
reasonably.
When the top dries out, then they are dead and there is very little moisture
 coming off.
The answer then is to keep them wet;  don't let  them dry out.  Making it
easier  to wick to the top helps in this effort.

Because of the moisture distribution baffle on a grand humidifier is so close
to the  pads,
considerable condensation forms on the baffle and then drips back onto the
pads.  This and the ease of wicking out of a grand tank tend to keep the pads
wet and make these pads last longer.  The grand differs from the vertical in
this regard as the vertical moisture
distribution baffle is substantially above the humidifier tank.  There is
less moisture
condensing on it and more going into the soundboard.

One more stop and then I'll quit.  The grand humidifier hanger brackets were
recently
lengthened so that a greater air flow between pads and baffle would provide
for a greater
flow of high moisture air outward to the soundboard and less going straight
 up to
condense on the sound board.

On the theory that every little bit helps, we have taken a step to increase
the effectiveness of the grand humidifier and are now proposing to do
something that will make the vertical pads last longer.

David - Thanks for the opportunity to go further with this.

Sincerely,
Bob Mair,