Is it just me?

Bbarasa@aol.com Bbarasa@aol.com
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 10:54:59 -0500

>While this may seem humorous, the intent is serious.

Well, Jim, if you want us to be serious, you'll have to stop writing so well
... and so humorously!

>It appears as though the amount of external noise during a tuning is
>directly proportional to where I am in the scale, and/or how close to
>completion I am. In addition to common noises, I've recently
>encountered more than my share of people humming, singing or
>whistling, and usually when I'm trying to clear unisons in the last
>octave (or less).

I can't say I notice this a lot.  The top octave is frustrating to tune no
matter what.  But I do remember that one of the first pianos I tuned was some
kind of junky spinet in a home where there were a couple of birds ... bigger
than parakeets, smaller than eagles.  I was already feeling plenty
inadequate, being new, but when I got to the upper register, the birds began
"singing" like crazy.  I about went nuts!

So perhaps we could develop a theory and do some research.  Get some
volunteers, put them each in a room, pipe in some temperament tuning sounds,
and gradually work up to the top octaves.  We could see if they all start
chirping!

Stage crews are a whole different thing.  The people I've worked with fall
into three categories: those who are extremely respectful of what I am doing,
almost to the point of reverence; those who are oblivious (vacuuming,
hammering, hollering, doing sound checks); and those who are smart-asses (a
roadie: "That sounds pretty good.  I usually bring along a tuning hammer and
fix the tuning myself if I notice it's not right.")

No, it's not "just you."  But perhaps there is some planetary alignment that
is causing all of these folks to descend on you all at once right now.  ;-)

Your attempt to "tune them out" is probably your best bet!

Barb Barasa
Sycamore IL