Tuning Test Intervals

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 18:52:59 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Laurence Beach wrote:

> Ken Burton wrote:
> >   If you're really open to something different, try my "Triad
> >Temperament." I set a 9 note temperament, using Major Triads, position
> >one and three as significant test intervals. It is a very simple approach
> >and very accurate.
> >
> >   Ken Burton
> >     Calgary, Alberta
> >

> Ken, I must be missing something here.  I asked myself how one can do a
> nine note temperament when there are twelve unique notes.  I know I'm
> missing something here, or is this the Gilligan's Island temperament?
>
> Laurence Beach
> Vancouver BC
> Canada

      Laurence,

      After setting A220 (A3), I set E4 from A3, C#4 from A3 and D4
from A3. Then I set A#3 from D4. Then I set D#4 from A#3 and F4 from A#3.
Then I set C4 from F4 and B3 from E4. This completes my nine-note
temperament.
      I continue on tuning downwards to the tenor break using 3rds,
4ths, 5ths and 6ths as tests for each note.
      Clear as mud? It works like a charm. With the addition of Triads
as tests, it is a very accurate temperament.

      Ken Burton, Calgary, Alberta