#pianotech IRC

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:38:22 -0700

Hi Ken...

At 05:16 AM 19/03/96 -0700, you wrote:

>     John, Don Rose mentioned a program that is available which allows
>Internet users to speak with each other, telephone style. If this is
>possible, it would mean long distance telephone without cost.
>     Do you know anything about it?

Yes... it's called "Internet Phone" and there are a couple of different
versions floating around. You need a PPP account rather than a freenet one
to use it as far as I'm aware. I'm playing with it a bit now, but my sound
card isn't very good and that is one of the other factors... you need a
sound card such as a "Soundblaster" with a microphone and speakers plugged
into it as well.

So... if you have a PPP account with someone like CADVision, a good sound
card, microphone and speakers you can use it. Right now it's single
direction only so you have to talk and say "over" when finished like when
using a radio, but that should be fixed soon.

Hope that helps...

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada