The Young Chang Blues -Reply

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:15:25 -0700

>On our only Young Chang(read Weber)
>..the protek only worked on some
>of the centers....i've had to repin
>about 2 dozen hammer flanges....
>every year a few more seize up and
>i just lube/re-pin those....

I've noticed here that repinning is often the only solution because the
centres are loose in the wood and tight in the felt! This seems to occur in
many Asian pianos here, not just YC. Is it because the flanges are drying
out? Why wouldn't the felt shrink too?

Incidentally, one "test" for that I've found (accidentally) is to dust the
flanges with pure talc (this was before I discovered the immense benefits of
Teflon powder for knuckles). If the flanges seize after that and you check
them they're always too loose in the wood.

Anyone else experience this?

>The funny feeling in the action goes
>away w/ lube/repinning....

Well, much of the funny feeling goes away... <g>

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com