WD-40 As An Action Lubricant?

Arnold arnold@nando.net
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:28:08 -0500 (EST)

I have always wondered how WD-40 might work as an action centers
lubricant, but have "been scared" to try it.  I used it once to lube some
damper spring seats to stop that squeaking when the damper moved, and it
worked fine (I realize the proper lubricant is  graphite or soapstone.)
I know that Protec and my old standby, naptha and silicone, are better
lubricants, but WD-40 is considerably cheaper than the first, and more
available than the second, in a pinch, so would it work, or would it make
a "big mess?"

Arnold Schmidt, Raleigh, NC