WD-40 As An Action Lubricant?

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:22:46 -0600

>I have always wondered how WD-40 might work as an action centers
>lubricant, but have "been scared" to try it.  I used it once to lube some
>damper spring seats to stop that squeaking when the damper moved, and it
>worked fine (I realize the proper lubricant is  graphite or soapstone.)
>I know that Protec and my old standby, naptha and silicone, are better
>lubricants, but WD-40 is considerably cheaper than the first, and more
>available than the second, in a pinch, so would it work, or would it make
>a "big mess?"
>
>Arnold Schmidt, Raleigh, NC

My understanding is it would make a "big mess", Arnold.  Anything you might
save in WD-40's availability and cheaper price will be more than offset by
the damage you will cause and be responsible for if you apply it to action
centers in someone's piano.  Initially, WD-40 appears to work fine, but
later on there is a gumming effect which is severe.

Protek, not Protec.

Keith McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University