PLATE HOIST ?'s

EBordeleau@aol.com EBordeleau@aol.com
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 23:54:02 -0500

Lorin-

I have been using an engine hoist (from Harbor Freight) for 11 years now and
love it.  It's especially useful for setting bearing where the plate goes in
and out a lot.

To make lifting the plate a one man job, though, you'll need an additional
accessory - an engine balancer.  This hangs from the hoist and has a screw
mechanism inside it to shift the center of gravity along its length to lift
evenly.  I use it with a nylon moving strap going through the chain holes on
either end, and attached to the front and back of the plate.  By carefully
adjusting the length of the straps, and the center of gravity on the
balancer, you can get the plate balanced to lift straight out, or tip it
slightly if needed to clear an obstruction.

One further hint - line the inside of the rim with cardboard or some other
protective material.  That will keep you from scratching it should the plate
bump it or ride up against the rim.

Ed Bordeleau
Pianoarts, Inc.