PLATE HOIST ?'s

J. Kehe fortep@mcs.net
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 18:34:38 +0000

Date:          Sat, 30 Mar 1996 10:01:16 -0700 (MST)
From:          ldb@commonlink.com (Lorlin D. Barber)
Subject:       PLATE HOIST ?'s
To:            Multiple recipients of list <pianotech@byu.edu>

Has anyone used the automotive floor base hydralic hoist for lifting plates?
The lift arm of the one I have seen will moved vertically from about 3'floor
hieght to 6" and has a throat depth of about 3'. Sounds workable but the lift
isn't directly up and down like an overhead hoist.

I would greatly appreciate any input, experiences, opinions.

Thanks Much!

Lorlin Barber, RPT

Lorlin,

Just tried one out for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The
piano was a Mason & Hamlin BB so you can imagine the size and weight
of the plate. The piano was at a location where there was no overhead
beaming  so we were unable to use a regular hoist. It was incredibly
easy and we managed fine with 3 people. I believe you want to start
with the arm of the hoist very close to the plate thereby minimizing
the lateral movement of the arm.

j. kehe
chicago