New treatment for the control of insect infestation

Robert Portillo rportillo@earthlink.net
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 01:26:25 -0800

>At 11:08 AM 1/28/96 GMT, Renato Meucci wrote:
>I was asked to comment, by an organological point of view, the choise of a
>proper element for woodworms disinfestation of musical instruments (violins
>in particular).
>I would suggest the usage of benzene- or phenol-derived elements, such as
>paradiclorophenol, or paradiphenobenzole, which, to my knowledge, don't
>leave appreciable trace in the wood.
>What is your experience on this?
>Do you actually take into account the (shorter) time needed for the entire
>disinfestation as an element for evaluating the value of the gas used?
>Have you ever tried a non gas-based method for disinfestation?
>
>Renato Meucci
>Professor of History of Musical Instruments
>Univ. of Parma (I)
>
>Renato Meucci
>
>r.meucci@agora.stm.it

Prof. Meucci and CIMCIM Discussion List:

Since the late 1980's, a relatively new treatment for the control of insect
infestation in musical instruments is the use of an oxygen scavenger such as
"Ageless" (TM).  Developed to prolong freshness in food storage, "Ageless"
is patented and produced by the Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company.

Recently, conservators have demonstrated that low oxygen levels
(approximeately 0.1 - 0.3% @ 55%RH is best) in and around an object can
eliminate adult, larve, and egg forms of infestation completely.  Since
governments are trying to controle the use of toxic gases and chemicals this
new treatment is particularly attractive as it presents no health or safety
hazards, and has no degenerate effect on musical instruments.

"Ageless" is available in sealed packet envelopes (oxygen permeable), sized
to absorb a specific volume of oxygen gas.  Depending on the permeability of
the packaging film, "Ageless" can maintain low levels of oxygen gas
indefinitely.  I use Cryovac or Marveseal barrier film and with the use of a
heat sealer (bar type) make the film into a plastic bag the size of the
object.  By calculating the volume of air in the bag, one can determine how
many "Ageless" packets to use.  Usually I leave the bag untouched for 3
weeks, although 14 days is often normal treatment time.  This treatment is a
practical and economical method for the treatment of insect infestation.  It
is non toxic and safe for musical instruments.  The bags are also reusable.
Contact your local Scientific or Conservation Materials Supply to purchase
materials (pre-cut bags are also available).

Robert Portillo
rportillo@earthlink.net