Single vs. three string unisons

FSSturm@aol.com FSSturm@aol.com
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 00:59:53 -0500

Sorry to keep harping on this subject, but I have a couple more observations.
One: I have managed to confirm aurally the pitch difference between single
and three string unisons, in parts of 8ves 5 and 6, at least. I hadn't been
able to hear this difference when comparing beat rates of 10ths and 17ths
with or without mute inserted when I tried earlier. I had played the 10th or
17th with all three strings sounding, then with only a single string, relying
on my memory to compare the beat rates. I guess my memory wasn't good enough.

The way I have managed to hear the difference is to compare the beat rate to
a bench mark: a parallel 10th or 17th a semitone higher or lower, with a beat
rate equal or very close to the interval in question. When I compare the
"benchmark" beat rate to the rates of the 10th or 17th played alternately
with a single string, then with all three strings, I can hear a difference
that experience tells me is in the .1 to .3 cent range, just perceptible. I
can hear this difference in the area from about E5 to G6. Above G6, I simply
can't judge well enough to be certain.

So enrol me among the ranks of the aural believers, but making it clear that
I can only hear this in 8ves 5 and 6, never in 8ve 4. In spite of being able
to hear the difference in beat rates, I cannot detect the difference with my
SAT. Choosing unisons that consist of three strings that all "read" clearly
and reliably, I continue to come up with identical readings for any
individual string and for all strings read together. I raise the cents value
by .2 cents and both read flat (barely). I lower by the same amount, and both
read sharp (again barely). So the question I have, which maybe Dean Reyburn
can answer, is why the RCT is able to pick this up while the SAT is not. I
don't think it is just a matter of relative accuracy (the SAT is very
reliable within .2 cents, even accounting for difficulty in interpreting the
lights). Maybe it has to do with the time element - how long a sample the RCT
takes before measuring vs. the SAT.

BTW, in 8ve 4 I am able with the SAT to measure a pitch difference of about
..3 cents between a note played with a fairly loud blow and a pianissimo blow.
(I can't measure the same in 8ve 5, but I think that is due to the short
sustain, and the SAT's difficulty in getting a "fix" on pitch at low decibel
levels). Dean observed that a given "hammer blow strength" might generate
greater amplitude in a single string  with the other two muted compared to
the amplitude of all three strings excited by an equal blow - that more of
the force of the blow would be focused on one string, and that this might
account for the pitch difference between single and three string unisons. I
think that is the most satisfctory explanation I have heard, but I don't see
why the SAT wouldn't pick it up.

My second observation: I still caution against making more of this than is
appropriate. I don't think we need worry about taking it into account wneh
tuning bass or midrange. Why not? Because it doesn't seem to affect those
areas at all. And for "average" tunings, with pitch changes of 5 cents or
more (at least that describes my average tuning), time and effort is much
better spent getting stability and good, solid unisons, than fussing with a
possible .1 - .3 cent difference in 8ve widths. That said, when it comes to
concert tuning, where the piano is within about .5 cents, I can certainly see
taking this into account.

Just my two, or maybe three, cents worth.