Single vs. three string unisons

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 05:42:34 -0600 (CST)

--snip

> Dean observed that a given "hammer blow strength" might generate
> greater amplitude in a single string  with the other two muted compared to
> the amplitude of all three strings excited by an equal blow - that more of
> the force of the blow would be focused on one string, and that this might
> account for the pitch difference between single and three string unisons. I
> think that is the most satisfctory explanation I have heard, but I don't see
> why the SAT wouldn't pick it up.

--snip

The hammer is still striking 3 strings even when 2 are muted.  The energy
is going in to all the strings, it's just that the energy from two of
them is being dissipated by the mute.  I really think the 1 singing
string doesn't get any more energy in either case.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University