Knuckles (Nov 7, 3:59pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 19:35:34 -0500

Dear Jon,
	The following are key release noises and solutions

	1.  Hard knuckles, if of the felt variety needle or if buckskin use a
suade brush and clean and raise the knap.  Brushing every third tuning should
keep it nice and quiet.
	2.  Rocker cushion, kneedle or brush as kneeded.
	3.  Backrail cloth, clean and brush it up with suade brush.
	4.  Key balance hole enlargement, shrink, size or replace as needed.
	5.  Jack hitting spoon, flet hard, adjust so flet is relocated on
spoon.  If this doens't work replace the felt, or needle or peel.  (I like
peel).
	6.  Damper system, e.i., teflon bushings or guide rail bushings.
Rebush the rail or remove damper tray and repin damper flanges as needed.
	7.  Wippen teflon centers can also make noise upon return.

	I realize these are not all quick and easy solutions, but who said life
is easy.  Please tell me, I would like to shoot the SOB.
		Newton
		nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu