FAC problem

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 22:49:26 -0500

David:

I just started using my wife's SAT on a regular basis, and have found it to
be a great instrument. Not only has it helped with my tuning, but I have to
agree with others who have told me, there is a lot less stress at the end of
the day.

I have come accross one propblem that hopefully you can help with. On some
pianos, when I try to measure the stretch on F4, with the SAT set to F6, the
lights don't light up. I can just barely see them after about 2 seconds. I
noticed it first on an Acrosonic, where F4 is a wound string, and thought
that was the problem. But then I had the same problem today with a Knabe
grand, where F4 is a plain string. I also found that on other spinets with
wound F4's I could get a clear reading, and on some good consoles with plain
wires, I had trouble reading the lights..

I copied this to the list, wondering if other tuners have the same problem,
or if it is just my machine.

BTW, now that I have started using the SAT everyday, I have come full circle.
When I started tuning 20 years ago, I trained on one of the first SOT's, but
weaned myself off it after 2 years, figuring my customers didn't want to see
a "green horn" using an electronic gadget. Now that I am an experienced
tuner, I am using the SAT, loving every minute, and showing it off to my
customers.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis