BACKCHECKS, BRAINS AND SHINY MEDALS

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 09 Nov 1996 11:45:04 -0500

Andre;
  I think that we all understand the phenomenon as you have described it.
The reason for this is as follows......... When the knobilling pin is held
captive, by the knobilling pin holder, the effect of the exerted forces is
concentrated in a more linear fashion as opposed to the wandering of the of a
non-captive knobilling pin.
Because of this if the motion, before prescribed action, is concentrated in a
wave envelope conducive to excitation of a standing member the tone will
change, perhaps due to framus friction.
  In other words Andre I can not explain what you have described !  I do know
that the 'power' of repeated strokes on a given note is effected dramatically
with changing backcheck catching height.  With that in mind let me ask this
question. Is the change in tone/power you describe on the initial blow or on
subsequent repeat blows?
Jim Bryant (FL)