Moldy hide glue

Gittinger, Delbert M. delgit@acc-net.com
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:22:20 -0500

----------
> From: Bill Maxim <wmaxim@gnn.com>

> Usually by the time I get to it, there is mold growing on the top of
> the glue.  This is a fairly recent occurrence; it started not more than
> a year ago.  Is this just a nuisance or will it affect the longevity of
> the glued joints?

Bill & all,

Mark Ritchie, RPT from the Columbus PTG Chapter, put me on to using a
plastic pipe tobacco lid with a whole for a glue brush in the center over a
baby food jar of hide glue sitting in water.  I can leave the pot on all
day without the usual skimming and/or thickening of the glue.

To prevent mold I put the lid on the baby food jar as the glue cools to
seal the jar.  I rarely get any mold on the glue even if it sits for a long
time, though it does get rather "earthy" smelling :-)  One time I did get
mold and I think it was due to getting some contaminant in the glue or
possibly that lid did not seal well.

Del Gittinger, RPT
Registered Piano Technician
of the Piano Technicians Guild