Knuckle removal > Installation < <"Re:Knuckle removal > Installation <"@niflheim.rutgers.edu> (Nov 10, 12:07pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 08:07:22 -0500

Hi, David,
	Buckskin is an organic material, is built up one layer at a time and
does, like wood, have a grain.  Some more obvious than others, but does have a
grain.
	After checking several Yamaha shanks you appear to be correct, but, and
here is the important point, they use VERY tight grained skins.  Reversing
grain on much of the skin available to us would be counter productive.
	Steinway and Renner shanks have the grain oriented to assist the jack
getting back into possition for a repitition.
	I think I would glue the new knuckles in to reflect original
manufacturer preferences.
	Thanks for the new information!
		Newton
		nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu