Baked piano

Barbara E. Richmond brichmon@e-tex.com
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:51 -0600 (CST)

At 11:52 AM 11/8/96 -0700, you wrote:
>One of the Universities I tune for loaned out a Yamaha C7 for an outdoor
>concert, high noon, on a hot sunny day. The piano was not covered, no
>canapy--nothing. Probably set there for 3-4 hours. Last week I tuned the
>same piano for an indoor concert. Many of the strings (both bass and
>treble) have a slight "buzz" to the tone. Any experience with what's
>happened. This is a metalic buzz -- not like a soundboard buzz. I
>re-seated the strings, no change. Should I suspect the agraffes, the wire
>itself, the bridge pins--or the hammers? It was a nice performance piano.
>Any experience?
>
>Bob Simmons, RPT

Hi Bob,

I used to service a Yamaha Grand that was regularly exposed to severe
changes changes in humidity.  In low humidity I could always count on a buzz
appearing that I could swear was coming from *somewhere else*--but the cause
always ended up being that the lyre screws needed tightening.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
Palestine, TX