Knuckle removal > Installation >

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:22:49 +0000

To the list,

I was always taught to put rollers on with the smooth nap running with
the jack, the reason for this was prolongs the life of the roller makes
a smoother drop, and there is a gap above the jack and repetition lever
to assist the return of the jack against the grain of the leather.  This
gap was called carding as the gap was the thickness of thin card 0.5 mm.

I was also taught to do it this way for a lighter touch.   in the U.S.
they do it the opposite way as you desire a more prominent after touch
than in the U.K. It is a while since I bought a set of shanks with
rollers fitted from Herburger brooks.  A colleague of mine phoned me up
a month ago to say he had purchased a set from Renner and  that the
rollers are on back to front he actually turned them round.  I shall
enquire to see if Herberger Brooks have changed the direction of the
nap.  I personally prefer the Jack to run with nap than against it.

Regards,
Barrie.

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |