Rattles & squeaks

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 07:50:50 -0600

List,

   I need a little advice on a good way to get rid of a rattle coming from
the lock mechanism in the stretcher bar of a new Kawai GS-70. I can move
the lock with my fingers and the rattle stops. Any suggestions?
   Also, our rebuilt Steinway B developed a BAD squeak coming from the
contact point of the brass pitman to the buckskin on the damper tray. I
applied some teflon powder lube to it and stopped the squeak. Will this
last? Should I replace the brass rod with wood? Any ideas.
   Thanks for any help.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music