Rattles & squeaks

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 21:52:58 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Avery Todd wrote:

>    Also, our rebuilt Steinway B developed a BAD squeak coming from the
> contact point of the brass pitman to the buckskin on the damper tray. I
> applied some teflon powder lube to it and stopped the squeak. Will this
> last? Should I replace the brass rod with wood? Any ideas.

Avery:

New Steinways are now outfitted with wooden pitmans instead of the brass
ones.  Also, the hole through which they pass on the way to the damper
tray is considerably larger -- no contact between pitman and the keybed in
any way.  In our shop, we us a hole saw to drill a carefully located new
hole (it encompasses the old hole).  I think the new pitman (a dowel)  is
roughly the same size as the brass one, with a front-rail punching (take
your pick! :-) glued to the top of the dowel.  No more squeaks.

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan
			      School of Music