Ethics on a "Wim"

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 22:00:38 -0500

To the lists,

Since this topic kind of crosses over into both, I will address it to both
lists. Although the topic of ethics is being discussed by the DC committee,
the subject of pricing is something that does effect all of us, and I don't
think discussing it here is unethical.

With that said, allow me to resond to several of you who wrote in.

To Don Rose. Concerning the customer who lives 400 miles away. Earlier on
this list was a disccusion on how to charge for traveling long distances, and
thus, I will not repeat that entire topic. Basically, you should charge by
the mile, and travel time, and then for the job itself. Which relates then to
my lawyer. If he told me he charges $50 to drive downtown and park, I can
accept that. But for him to charge me $40 p/h to give me advice while sitting
in his office, and $75 p/h to defend me in court, that's quite a difference,
one that i don't agree with. But it is his policy, and who am I to tell him
he can't do that.

To Keith: Having someone watch over your shoulder can be nerve racking,
especially under the conditions you  described. When I said "where do you
draw the line" I did not mean I want to draw the line for you. If you can
live with yourself charging clients different rates, that is you problem, not
mine.

Which brings me to Ron T. I want to ask him how he explains his prices to his
customers. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be the highest priced tuner
in town, but how do you explain to one customer, whom you charged $100 to
tune the piano, and only $75 to tune her sister's piano, why there is a
difference in price. (presuming you only tuned the piano, of course). I am
not trying to get you, nor everyone else, to charge the same, nor am I trying
to tell everyone how much they should charge. As Tom Cole said, it should be
your own personal ethics that dictates how you should charge your customers.
As i said, if you can live with yourself charging different rates to
different customer, go for it. It's just not my cup of tea.

To Larry Goss: When an hourly rate is figured out, all the factors you
mentioend are taken into consideration. The rate you come up with is what you
need to charge in order to make a living. And this rate should be charged
anytime your doing any kind of work, from replacing bridlestraps to replacing
a pin block, from tightening screws to doing a concert tuning. You have to
keep the bottom line in mind. When it come time to pay the mortage, the bank
is not going to accept that you had nothing but bridlestrap jobs this month.
They just want their money, so you had better be sure that every hour you
worked, you made enough to pay all the bills. If you can get your son to work
for you at $6 per hour, while you're doing something else at your normal
rate, then you might be able to get ahead of the game.

And finally a note ot Joseph Alkman. You are absolutely right in what you
said. How much you charge is nobody's business but your own, and the market
will distate how much work you will be able to do. I am not trying to judge
you or anyone else. I just asked the question, and gave you my opinion. Just
as I think your closing statement was way out of line, and uncalled for. This
list is everyone to express their thoughts and opinions, and if you don't
like it, just say so. But why be hatefull about it?

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis