Silicone spray dilemma

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 21:48:26 -0600 (CST)

Dear List,

I trust I will explain a most unique situation in my experience.

I have a new customer who says a technician used silicone spray on the
keyframe pins and capstans in her Steinway B.  However, her story is that
she requested this not be done.  So now, approximately six months later,
this customer wants to remove as much of the silicone product from her
piano as possible, and I have been chosen to assist in doing this.

It doesn't visibly appear to have caused any damage the piano in any way.
However, it has harmed the customer's perception of piano service and the
originality of this instrument because the customer was informed many years
ago by a now deceased tuner to never let anyone use silicone on a piano.
Hence, the customer wants to try and undo what has been done if possible.

The name of the silicone product is "Pyroil Multi Purpose Lubricant" by
Valvoline.

If anyone on Pianotech can advise me of a method, if one exists, or a
source for a method, to accomplish this project, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician