small vertical key flop

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 13:31:05 -0500

This question, which I am eager to hear about too, comes from my partner Jack
Lofton who ran into a particularly challenged action this week:

"There is that annoying tendency for keys of some vertical pianos to be
weighted so heavily towards the front that it interferes with repetition
[jack doesn't return under butt, lost motion is soaked up by key flop] and
sometimes even key return.  Is there any solution short of reweighting the
keys?"
[he and I were discussing brands that do not use wippen flange springs]

I encouraged him to submit the question as I'm sure there are cheap practice
room pianos someplace that you pros have had to render useful.  I've seen
jiffy weights tacked on (sometimes just on the offenders, not all keys!) but
of course what goes down must first go up so that's in the reweighting by
adding instead of subtracting category, blegh.

Looking forward,
Audrey Karabinus,  Seattle