small vertical key flop

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:56:03 +0000

Hi Audrey,

First of all check the obvious the spiral springs to see if they have
not weakened with heavy use.

You can regulate this problem out, the Langer 80 action is very
suseptive to repition failiure.  To overcome this problem I re-regulate
to the following,

Set the blow to 44 mm
set the let off to 2 mm
set the checking to 12 mm
set the depth of touch to 9.5 mm

You must have firm front touch washers for this close a tolerance.  When
regulated turn the jack slap rail as close to the jacks as possible
before it  interferes with the jacks.

What you are basically doing is altering the angle of attack at which
the jack meets the knuckle therefore, with the angle of attack reduced
when the jack returns under the knuckle.  There is less leather for the
jack  to come in contact with, thus reducing friction.  Also you may
consider putting some antifriction material on the balance pins and bat
pins.  Take a look at the butt springs (if it has them) to see if the
tension is too great.

If all else fails its re-lead..... the keys I'm afraid :-(

Good luck,

Kind regards,

Barrie.

In article <961118133104_1083217065@emout01.mail.aol.com>,
AKarab@aol.com writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |