Ivory keytops(wafers)

Frederick G Scoles scoles@oswego.edu
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 12:02:01 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Richard Wagner wrote:

> I prefer using wafers too but the ones I've purchased of late seem to be
> worthless.

I have also noticed problems with wafers from 3 major suppliers.  Mr.
Schadler (APSCO) told me last year that they have not been able to get
good wafers for several years. Some are even cut too small to use.  They
seem to work if I add some extra whitened hot hide glue with a soft glue
brush to both sides of the wafer just before applying it to the key and
ivory.  I have considered making my own wafers; might be easier?

> I keep harping on the word "slimy" because when I see one behaving in that
> manner, especially if there's little or no glue leaching from it into the
> water, I can count on it to fail.
I have noticed the same thing.  You have described it better than I could
have.

> I don't think I'm just being nostalgic here.  I beleive that the wafers
> currently available from Schaff and Apsco (at least) have been giving glue
> wafers in general a bad name for quite some time.
Yes.  But, as Schad told me last year, it's hard to supply a good product
if one isn't available to him.

I hope that my tip about adding some glue to the wafers might help.

Fred Scoles, RPT