Why 41" Consoles

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 23:09:53 -0700

>From Sy Zabrocki

Many a tuner has questioned why the piano industry felt so compeled to =
build the spinet piano. By the late 30's the industry undoubtedly =
received the message the public was resisting the old upright. So why go =
from one extreme to the other? Enough has been said about the spinet. =
The spinet is almost dead so forget it.

An even bigger question is why was there this compulsion to build even =
the consoles too small. It didn't take the foreign makers long to see =
the folly in the 41" console. Both Yamaha and Kawai built a few 41" but =
only for a short time. I bought my first 41" Kawai in 1969.=20

The 43" size is ideal for a console. It provides sufficient string =
length and soundboard area and allows for a larger better performing =
action. The two inches additional height makes almost no difference in =
the home. Some of the 41" actions were just too compressed. It was =
ridiculous.

In the 70's and up to 1981 I was selling Everett. It was one of the =
better consoles. When the Kawai franchise became available to me I =
dropped the Everett in a heart beat. But what would have happened if =
Everett, Krakauer,  Sohmer, Mason & Hamlin, Chickering, Knabe and others =
had all been 43" pianos. It's just possible some of them might still be =
around. Many dealers really did want to stay with U.S. pianos. Isn't it =
ironic that one of the few U.S. makers still on the scene is the Charles =
Walter and it is a 43" piano. Very expensive though.

Back in the 30's and 40's it's unlikely the public was demanding pianos =
this small. The public buys what you put in front of them to some =
degree. Certainly the two inches additional height would not have turned =
them off. It's almost like it was a contest among makers to see who =
could  condense it down the most. Well, it's water on the bridge now. =
It's too bad it couldn't have been different.

Sy Zabrocki