Pinblock repair

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 16:37:36 -0500

In a message dated 96-11-27 15:30:55 EST, Jim Bryant wrote:

<<   Practically speaking, if you use 5/16" carriage bolts in your repair you
 can use almost any type of glue. >>

I have repaired dozens of split pinblocks in the last 15 years. I finally got
tired of trying to find bolts of exactly the right length, and of the right
hardness. Fastener Supply houses have 3/8" _heat_treated_threaded_rod_
available. I have them cut it to 6' length, and then cut it myself to exact
length with a bimetal hacksaw. A cap nut goes on the outside of the piano and
looks nice. I guess I liked carriage bolts enough, but some pinblocks are
just too thick.

For glue, I use titebond.

I once saw a newer console with a well split pnblock. Some idiot had bolted
it up and used PVC-E to glue it. The wonderful thing about PVC-E is that it
never gets hard and can give after it is set. NOT the best for a pinblock.
Second pinblock story: I got called to tune for the local college's musical
artist in residence. An absolutely phunky old upright painted several shades
of blue awaited me. Opening up the lid, I cound see a bolted pinblock with no
glue. You could stick your hand into the crack between the bolts. Probably
the second or third time in my life I ever refused to tune a piano. Yikes!

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA