grand plate flanges...

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 18:52:07 -0500 (EST)

Thanks, Jim; for the founding process.
I've been on a tour of a foundry (not a piano plate) and am somewhat
familiar with the process.
My impression is that after a wooden model of the item to be cast is made,
they cut it in half and
mount each half onto a follow board.  * It would be interesting to know how
they slice a plate pattern
lengthwise *.  I would like to interject a related piece of info passed on
by a plate foundryman(?).
Knowing that the top side of the plate is in one half (cope?) and the bottom
in the other (drag?),
if they are not mated perfectly together for pouring, the v-bar to duplex
ridge distance will be off;
since the duplex ridge is formed in the top half and the v-bar in the bottom
half of the mold.
Which would account for those troublesome string segments .
Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass
jpage@capecod.net