harpsichords and temperaments

Rob & Karen Loomis rkloomis@shaysnet.com
Mon, 02 Sep 1996 15:52:45 -0400

Dear Steven,
	I do not have perfect pitch and have been tuning unequal temperaments
on pianos, fortepianos, harpsichords and clavichords since Owen
Jorgenson's first book came out. These experiences of tuning and then
listening to these instruments and the music that we're all familiar
with in equal temperament (but most of the composers never conceived of
in equal temperament) have been most enriching for me and have helped me
understand and tune equal temperament more accurately rather than
confuse me. When I started to learn to tune equal temperament, I was
studying violin (just intonation)and I found the conflict untenable and
stopped with the violin until I had equal temperament secure. So, if you
want to make a living tuning (equal temperment) and don't feel secure,
you may not want to listen to anything else. Once I had equal though,
learning other temperaments has helped me keep interested in tuning and
hearing music performed closer to the way its composer would have heard
it performed has often been very exciting.
	Probably it is best for most customers to keep any given instrument at
one pitch in one temperament for the sake of stability. So, go for it,
open up those ears.
Best Wishes			Rob