Upright Damper Regulation

Greg & Mary Ellen Newell gnewell@en.com
Mon, 02 Sep 1996 23:34:44 +0000

n Sun, 01 Sep 1996 19:47:14 -0800, Bonifield-Poulson wrote:

>I am in the final stages of regulating the action on a Vose & Sons
>upright that I have reconditioned (new felts, springs, etc.) and am
>stumped by a problem that has cropped in regulating the dampers, in
>particular the bass section.  This action has the usual two piece
>damper lift rod, splitting at C3. The bass dampers are regulated so
>that they lift evenly from the bass damper pedal, which of course
>operates from the bass or left side of the action.  However, when the
>full damper pedal (right) is operated, the bass dampers lift late and
>in a bow-shaped pattern.  The first and last dampers of the bass
>section lift with the treble dampers, with the dampers in between
>lifting afterwards.  The bass lifter rod is straight, as are the
>hanger hooks.  I'ver tried varying thicknesses of replacement leather
>between the rods, which only change the timing of the lift, not the
>pattern.  Any ideas?    Patrick Poulson, RPT

What about the hook flanges or keepers or whatever they're called.
If they look good I think I would remove a couple dampers at the
location of the hooks and watch them closely in action (while
working).
How are you judging that the rod is straight or that the hooks are
not bent?
				Greg
Greg & Mary Ellen Newell
gnewell@en.com