Talkin' Torque

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 22:18:26 -0700 (mst)

Dear Bill:

I have shown several times at conventions a test similar to what you
describe.  I took a complete pinblock to my class where I had top & bot.
piano wire pointers which met out beyond the edge of the pinblock.  There
is a difference which can be seen.  Now a 1 degree difference is probably
more than what we observed, but it still is some difference.  It may
not be as much as one writer described as the marshmallow zone, but it
still is a factor.  While your chapter is doing some testing, it might be
well to also check what is the smallest difference one can measure when
tuning a unison strictly by machine.  I find it extremely difficult to
tune unisons within less than .1 cent by machine or by ear.  How much
twisting of the pin is needed to effect .1 cent?  It will be
interesting to compare out results later.  Let me know what you come
up with.

Jim Coleman, Sr.