key bushings

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 01:37:04 -0400

Regarding McLube, another possibility to consider is placing a single drop of
McLube directly on the felt, (one on each side, being conservative not
shloppy) instead of on the pins where its effect is limited to the duration
of the adherence to the metal.  In the felt the McLube acts as a toughener,
which is exactly why you don't want to use much and end up with hardened,
noisy bushings.

This practice is used by many who prep Steinways, and when I checked with
Bill Spurlock about it he commented his only concern would be is there any
problem with a new bushing adhering when you rebush them.  Last year I
experimented treating some old bushings before I steamed them out; I had no
problem with glue adherence.  Mind you, I did not soak those bushings with
McLube, just got a drop on the surface that rubs up against the pin all the
time.

Helps a lot too with the sharply bent (side angle) keys that get stubborn
from keyholing and won't return past the bump on the felt, when you know no
way is the customer going to go for rebushing.

Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle