Grand keys too short?

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 13:42:26 -0400 (EDT)

In mid-Aug. I asked for advice about a small Armstrong 1926 grand where
the key end damper lifter felt didn't extend far enough to reach the
damper underlevers, so most notes had no damper lift when notes were
played.  I want to thank everyone on this list who provided ideas and
insight for a simple solution.  Two changes have hopefully solved it.
First, I installed good, firm lift felt on the key ends (the original
felt pads were not firm enough).  Then, I found that the bass-end key
frame hold-down block (located under the cheek block) had been installed
backwards apparently many years ago, allowing excessive felt wear and
compaction on the very ends of the lifter felts.  By reversing this
block, every note now has enough distance to properly lift each damper
underlever.  Your input helped give me the insight to quickly and simply
solve the problem.

Fred Scoles, RPT