Fork or Float

William Bailer Wbailer@cris.com
Thu, 05 Sep 1996 10:43:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Aaron Bousel wrote:

>An anecdote:
> <snip big section> ...
> I've never gotten a complaint about a piano being too sharp, though if it's
>flat, I hear about it.
>
>Aaron Bousel

Aaron,

I have heard similar comments before, but my experience has been just
the opposite.  Singers are the most flexible in pitch of all
"instruments," and for them to complain about pitch is usually
theoretical or imagined "nit picking."  For instruments, especially
winds, pitch is critical, for many of them have no lattitude on the
"sharp" side--  it is not unusual for a trumpet to be dead on 440 with
the tuning slide all the way "in," with no option to tune any sharper.
They have trouble playing with a normally tuned piano, because the
higher notes of the piano are stretched higher than the higher notes of
the trumpet.  This is even more pronounced with clarinets and flutes--
they must tune sharp of 440 in order to sound best in tune with a piano.
All of these instruments have no trouble tuning flat though, by
elongation or pulling out a tuning slide.  So my conclusion is, to be
safe, never tune sharp and opt for flat for purposes of "floating."  In
the case of playing with winds, flat may always be better.

Bill Bailer

\\\  William Bailer                              wbailer@cris.com
\\\  Rochester, NY, USA                       phone: 716-473-9556
\\\  Interests: acoustics, JSBach, anthropology, piano technology