Fork or Float

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Thu, 05 Sep 1996 09:02:25 -0400

    Aaron Bousel from Canada writes:

    "I have a client, a professional singer and voice teacher, who has a
    Heintzman console.  Typically, the piano is about 30 cents sharp in late
    August/early September, and about the same amount flat in
    January/February.  This is NOT when I want to see the piano, however, it
    is when my client wants to see me...She's just not interested in a
    Dampp-Chaser system as I can't promise her that the piano will need
    fewer tunings as a result of installing one."

    Installation of a D-C system does not guarantee that a piano will
    require fewer tunings.  In fact, as most of you know, immediately after
    installation, as the system begins to adjust the piano's RH environment
    to the 42 percent level, the piano will require MORE tunings (until
    stabilization has occurred).  I used to try to sell the D-C system under
    the premise that less tunings would be required after installation.  I
    have now learned, through experience, that the same number of tunings
    are generally still required during the year with a D-C system
    installed.  The selling point is:  "The piano maintains its tune better
    (fluctuates less) between regular tunings with a D-C system installed,
    AND the D-C system helps to preserve the piano."

    It truly seems to me that this client would greatly benefit from a D-C
    system.  Aaron, you might try a different selling approach with her.
    Good luck!

    Regards,

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG