Papp's mute for Grand

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Thu, 05 Sep 1996 05:56:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Thomas C. Cobble wrote:

> I have used this homeade tool for over 10 years to tune unisons one string
> at a time in the high treble of grands with an Acutuner..
>
> take two rubber mutes and remove the wire handles
>
> sand one side of each mute near the base and toward the thin end about 1/3rd
> the way
>
> super glue the sanded sides and stick em together
>
> cut one of mutes on the thin end about 1/4 to 1/3 in.. so it's a little bit
> shorter than the other
>
> replace one wire handle into the longer mute.......
>
> BINGO instant papps mute for grands
>
> Good Luck   Tom Cobble RPT

	Friends,

	This sounds like the DoubleMutes I have been making. I take two
small rubber mutes and instal them on a two-tuned fork which I have made.
They are spaced and staggered so that they can be inserted at a normal
angle. The DoubleMute works well on grands and uprights, even above the
treble dampers.
	If anyone is interested, I have some available.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta