Mason&Hamlin CC

Greg & Mary Ellen Newell gnewell@en.com
Thu, 05 Sep 1996 22:35:29 +0000

On Thu, 05 Sep 1996 21:17:15 +0000, == wrote:

>I have a Mason & Hamlin concert grand that has severe loss of tone and power,
>almost as if there is no crown on the soundboard. I do know at one time the
>tension resonator was lose enough to cause some buzzing. It is my
>understanding that it was tightened just enough to stop the buzzing. Also,
>someone has crammed wedges between the beams and the ribs to try to force
>some height on the board. (with no success). My question is, has anyone ever
>tried to adjust the tension resonator? I know it is not meant to be adjusted
>after it left the factory. It was purchased in 1979, along with 2 7ft Mason
>and Hamlins. This piano is not the concert instument any longer, they have
>since replaced it with a 9'2" Fazioli. (lucky me!) It is a classroom piano
>now. The 2 7 footers have no problems at all. Any feedback is appreciated!
>Scott Rogers RPT

I'm sure you'll get better responses than mine but I once heard that
to adjust the tension reasonator you would tighten like the spokes on
a wheel untill all bars sound at roughly the smae pitch. If this is
true, .... what pitch (roughly) does one stop at?
			Greg

P.S. - Sorry! I just realized that in my attempt to at least
partially answer a question I've introduced another!
<G>

Greg & Mary Ellen Newell
gnewell@en.com
dt945@cleveland.freenet.edu