Action Geometry - Help

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 05 Sep 1996 17:02:09 -0500

Mark D. & Jim H.,

   BINGO! Maybe! I hope! I'm no expert on metals, but isn't pot metal the
grey, smooth type metal? No, they haven't been already replaced, Mark. They
do have cracks in them, especially the treble section where I'm having the
trouble. I noticed it, but had hoped since it was still working fairly
well, I might be able to get by without replacing them. I should have known
better. <G> Oh well, they need replacing anyway.
   Jim, could you send me the part number for what you've used? I went
ahead and judged by the picture and ordered 5 brackets, part #30546
(APSCO). It looks like the only one that would match.
   This action has the old L-shaped wooden let-off rail where the buttons
are completely hidden. Does this sound similar to yours? If you or Mark (or
anyone else who knows) sees this tonight, would you please post me? The
order won't be shipped until tomorrow anyway, so I said I would call and
confirm in the morning.
   Thanks for your help.

Avery

> Have the action brackets already been replaced? I have seen these pianos circa
>1920-early 30's that originally had the pot metal action brackets. This stuff
>moves around over the years and eventually disintegrates. Fortunately,
>APSCO >has replacements available cheap.
>
>                Mark Dierauf
>                Concord, NH

AND:

>I just wanted to add that Marshall & Wendell's were known for their
>'growing' action brackets, making attempts at regulation at least
>ambitious if not downright impossible. I hate to make global
>inferences, but since I've replaced brackets on three of them, I
>believe I can issue this warning with some confidence.

>Jim Harvey, RPT
>Greenwood, SC

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music