Fork or Float

Barbara E. Richmond brichmon@e-tex.com
Sat, 07 Sep 1996 09:07 -0500 (CDT)

At 05:15 PM 9/6/96 -0600, you wrote:

>>>However, admit it Dave, double-reed people exist in an almost, but not-
>>>quite parallel universe all their own! :)
>>>
>>>Les Smith
>>>lessmith@buffnet.net
>>
>>   Careful Les. One never knows what double-reed people are out there
>>watching. <G>  (From one who played bassoon for years).
>>
>>Avery
>
>I am a former double reed player myself, having somehow managed to finagle
>a MM in Woodwinds with a double reed emphasis. I can take my two college
>degrees and a couple of bucks and buy a cup of coffee practically anywhere
>:-)...
>
>During my college days, a few of we "double-reeders" would occasionally get
>together and hold a s=E9ance to try and contact the living.
>
>Regards.
>
>Tom Seay
>School of Music
>The University of Texas at Austin

It=92s that reed making that is responsible for double reeders =93other
worldliness.=94  It=92s all those hours spent trying to coax/whittle every=
 bit
of responsiveness possible out of the blasted things (only to have them
knocked off the music stand and stomped on by someone).  Luckily, today
there are 12 step groups aimed at helping the afflicted (DRA--Double Reeders
Anonymous).

Wait a minute--is there a tendency for double reed players to become piano
technicians? And/or is there something about the combination of the two that
makes people end up in Texas?

Barbara Richmond, RPT
(who survived a reed in the neck when someone unexpectedly barged into her
practice room when she and her bassoon were in the way.....)
Palestine, Texas