1% crunch

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Sat, 07 Sep 1996 10:05:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 rhohf@idcnet.com wrote:

> The discussion of spruce's ability to compress 1% without damage is
> interesting, but is at most only half the story.  Does anyone know how far
> healthy spruce can stretch without failing?
>
> Bob Hohf
> Wisconsin

Bob,
	I don't recall reading how *far* spruce will stretch without
failing, but since (according to Del Fandrich in the June 1996 issue of
PTJ) the compression strength across the grain of Sitka spruce is 590 psi
and the strength in tension across the grain is 370 psi, I would guess
that the stretch factor might be something under 1%. Like Brent says,
though, in pianos the stresses are rarely simple anyway.

Steve
Steve Brady, RPT		"Chaos is the law of nature; order is the
University of Washington	dream of man."	--Henry Adams
sbrady@u.washington.edu