Double Reeders (was Re: Fork or Float)

Barb Barasa bbarasa@mind.net
Sat, 07 Sep 1996 10:23:50 -0700

>>>I am a former double reed player myself, having somehow managed to=
 finagle
>>>a MM in Woodwinds with a double reed emphasis. I can take my two college
>>>degrees and a couple of bucks and buy a cup of coffee practically=
 anywhere
>>>:-)...
>>>
>>>During my college days, a few of we "double-reeders" would occasionally=
 get
>>>together and hold a s=E9ance to try and contact the living.
>>>
>>>Tom Seay
>>
>>It's that reed making that is responsible for double reeders other
>>worldliness. It's all those hours spent trying to coax/whittle every bit
>>of responsiveness possible out of the blasted things (only to have them
>>knocked off the music stand and stomped on by someone).  Luckily, today
>>there are 12 step groups aimed at helping the afflicted (DRA--Double=
 Reeders
>>Anonymous).
>>
>>Wait a minute--is there a tendency for double reed players to become piano
>>technicians? And/or is there something about the combination of the two=
 that
>>makes people end up in Texas?
>>
>>Barbara Richmond, RPT
>>(who survived a reed in the neck when someone unexpectedly barged into her
>>practice room when she and her bassoon were in the way.....)
>>Palestine, Texas
>
>Barbara,
>   Maybe you, Tom and I should start one of those DRA groups. Are there=
 more?

>______________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT

I am a quad-string player (violin).  Mark Foss, an RPT back in Illinois
(where I just left) and also a violinist, told me this joke (I suppose it's
an old one, but it was new to me):

The orchestra was rehearsing.  Every time the oboe was supposed to make an
entry, he botched it and kept fooling with his reed. After several attempts,
the conductor got totally frustrated and asked him what the problem was.
The oboist pointed to the violist next to him and said, "He broke my reed!"
The conductor looked at the violist and said, "Is this true?"  "Yes." "Well,
why did you do THAT?"  "Well, he turned down one of my pegs, and he won't
tell me which one!"

Barb Barasa
Ashland, OR

"When nothing is sure,