Yamaha P1 backrail "cloth"

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 07 Sep 1996 18:46:46 -0400

Dear List:

Today I ran accross a problem I have never witnessed. I tuned a 35 - 40 year
old Yamaha P1 with very bad lost motion. I started adjusting the capstans,
but the first key I did wound up blocking the hammer against the string. I
then noticed that under the back of the  keys, where the back rail cloth is
supposed to be, was some gooie (sp) material, with the consistency of peanut
butter, only a little more solid. I could scape this stuff off the wood with
my fingers.  My recommendation to the customer was to replace this stuff with
regular back rail cloth.

First of all, can anyone tell me what this stuff is. And second, does anyone
know what thickness of cloth I need to use.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis