MR. CLEAN BLUES

scott.e.johnson@24stex.com scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
Sat, 07 Sep 1996 19:09:42 -0800

 Bo> << Seems to me I read about such a mixture.
 Bo>
 Bo> Prehaps  2 parts Boiled Lindseed Oil
 Bo> 1 part Turpentine
 Bo>
 Bo> I myself have not used this, but interested if anyone has.
 Bo> Thank you.
 Bo> Joshua G. Harper >>

 Bo> My understanding is that this is basically a slow-drying varnish. Raw
 Bo> linseed oil never dries, but heat-treating it in a certain way
 Bo> ("boiling") causes its molecules to cross-link and harden as it dries.
 Bo> The turpentine acts as a diluent, to make it soak in better.

 Bo> Bob Davis, RPT

My eighth grade history teacher was a gun guy and used to take his guns apart
and refinish the stocks with a mixture of boiled linseed, turpentine and copal
varnish. Copal varnish is available from fine arts supply stores and is used
by painters to cover and protect oil paintings, I think.  I used this mixture
on some small woodworking craft projects. It has the same advantage as any
oil finish in that it can be renewed in subsequent years. You know what they
say....
once a day for a week
once a week for a month
once a month for a year