More or less 440

Thomas A. Sheehan aquinas@nyc.pipeline.com
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 02:24:47 +0000 (GMT)

Ernie, and list -

Just had the pleasure of tuning for Stevie Wonder in a recording studio in
NYC
last week. He requested 442 for the house Yamaha CF grand piano. Must be
about
15 years old. Pitch raised it from 440 with Al Sanderson's magnificent
AccuFork
II. It dropped right into place, and I was able to go through the piano
once
more to stabilize it at the new pitch. Didn't get a call back, so I assume
all
went well.

On the other hand, during the spring performance of the Metropolitan Opera

Orchestra at Carnegie Hall, no fewer than three musicians came over to make

sure that I was tuning not a cent above 440! Singers _hate_ to have the
piano
above pitch, for fear that they'll sound flat. Thankfully, Jessye Norman
didn't
complain that day! So I know that everything was OK.

But, I do make sure to schedule and charge for the "roundtrip" when 442
requests come in.

All the best to all !!!!!!

BTW, I'm pleased to announce that I've passed all of my tests (written,
aural
tuning, and technical) and, pending the receipt of the reclassification
form
that I just mailed to the home office, I'll be officially an RPT once more.

It's GREAT to be back!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Tom

--